Friday, April 20, 2012

Presenters about the Union


Last week our class listened to two presenters: Mr. P and Mr. C. Both were members of unions, and were in our class to present us more information about Unions, what they do, and how WI Unions have undergone drastic changes in the past year.


Both presenters were very energetic, excited and influential as teachers. Both have a history in education and have worked in a variety of school settings. I really enjoyed that they used a smart board presentation and really focused on getting the class involved and interacting. I will be honest, before this presentation, I didn't know much about unions at all. 

I googled about unions and found this:

"A union is an organized group of workers who come together to make decisions about the conditions of their work. Through union membership, workers can impact wages, work hours, benefits, workplace health and safety, and other work-related issues. Under U.S. law, workers of all ages have the right to join a union. Having support from the union to ensure fair treatment in the workplace is one of the key reasons people join."

I really enjoyed learning about tenure, hire/fire techniques, tenure, merit pay, dues, political party affiliation, legal representation and other important topics within unions. I left the presentation with a better understanding of a union, but I am still looking up more information about what unions do, how they work, and how Walker has changed the effects that unions have in education. One day, I may be joining a teachers' union... unless they become even more obsolete than they are right now. One thing I am ready to do before I become more established in my career is to understand how the political side of my job will affect some big parts of my life as an educator!

No comments:

Post a Comment