Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Last Monday at the High School! (2.25 hours)

Today I enjoyed my last meeting with 6th and 7th hour. It was a great feeling to have the students wish that I was going to stay with them until the end of the year. Even though I will miss the sixth and seventh hour classes, it feels great to have my second practicum experience coming to an end. I feel very accomplished and excited to use all of the things I have learned.

The beginning 3D students were continuing to work on their coil pots. Many of the students have finished and are now working on their sketchbook assignments for the soapstone projects. They seem to enjoy the down time in class, but often fill the hour with giggles and web surfing instead of researching and working. I'm not so sure if I like the way that the students are on such separate projects all the time. A few students are still working on late work, which is nearly six weeks late. I love the sketchbook assignments, but I will probably work to keep my students more on task.

The seventh hour class was very fun to observe. I say observe because Mr. R was introducing the painting project to them today. Most students are still working on their self portraits after the due date, but some needed the introduction today. He showed examples of student work from the past and really started a great conversation about ideas for subject matter in the paintings. Because seventh hour has three foreign exchange students (two from Mexico, one from Germany) in the class, they gave great insights about the different context that the principles of design can create in the compositions due to cultural backgrounds. It was a a very fun conversation that lasted the entire class period! What a great way to end it all.

I then spent the resource period helping the drawing students on their portraits in the separate classroom from Mr. R. I have had a great experience with these classes, and will look back at this experience fondly!

No comments:

Post a Comment