Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 10 Gave A Presentation! (3.25 hours)



On the 16th of April, I was able to watch Mr. R present a new project to the students. Because he doesn't have a specific start date to any project, he likes to wait until half of the class is ready for the introduction, although some are already working on the new sketchbook assignments and some are still on the previous project. It is very hectic in the classroom most days due to this, but as soon as the whole class is gathered around Mr. R to go over the new lesson, it all seems to work very well again.

In 1st hour, I was writing notes on the smart board with the pen and converting it to text. Mr. R uses the smart board to take notes and involve students. Sometimes the students will do what I was doing today. The vocabulary and associated words for the new sculpture project is:

Armature - skeleton
Found object
Paris craft - plaster coated fibers
Poured Plaster - powder plaster mixed into a liquid in order to cast shapes
Finished surfaces - can be white or painted but must be pristine

In the 6th hour class, the beginning 3D students were introduced to the soapstone project. This is called "sculpture" project in the class by Mr. R, but is really a carving project with soapstone. He talked about the different characteristics of the soapstone as well as how to select the correct stone for their subject. He had the tables of students grab a box of stones and brainstorm the shapes and things that they saw in the stone (like Michelangelo did!). They were told to look at the stones like they used to look at the clouds in the sky as a child. The students found some very interesting shapes, and gained some new ideas for the sculptures instead of using the predetermined ideas they had already done in their sketchbooks. I am excited to see them work on this project more in class! The lesson took the whole class period, but was very fun to talk to each student about their new ideas.

7th hour 2D was a day for me to present my lesson! I loved presenting my power point about finishing techniques. I showed them some of my own work and gave them some ideas as far as backgrounds, textures and how to make the drawing look finished. I really thought that the presentation went well, and I had the students answering questions and reading the rubric with me! It was great and I really felt awesome about it. I wish I was able to have the projector in a different area, because the students were sitting all around me, so I felt like I was doing circles! After my presentation, the students said that the information I gave them was very helpful, especially about value and texture. One student even said "You're doing a good job!", which always makes you feel great.


No comments:

Post a Comment