Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 9 (2.25 hours)

Today, I was able to walk around the high school during Mr. R's prep hour. I hadn't gotten the chance to explore the environment, how the building works, or how other teachers arrange their environments. When I am a teacher, I know that I will be working with many other teachers, no matter if they are art educators, science teachers and so on. I am from a very small town, so I loved seeing this larger school and how many resources the students have! The science section of the building really amazed me as I walked by lab after lab. We had five science classrooms between the middle and high school in my small building, so to see that there were over six classrooms designated solely to science was awesome. Mr. R has two classrooms to work from for art class (one geared toward 2D and one geared toward 3D) which is still amazing to me as well.

After I walked through the building and got to see all of the two floors, I was able to spend the next two hours with the beginning 2D and 3D students. The 3D students were continuing their coil pot projects, and were much further along than the last time I saw them! It was great to see how their sketches were coming alive, or how they had evolved the design further. Some students went for the easy route and simplified the project as they were working on it, which was  little disappointing to see them give up on themselves in a sense.

The 2D students had started their self-portrait project, which is the class and lesson that I will be presenting to on my own. I was very excited to get into the classroom to see where the students were in their progress, and things they needed me to help them with when I present my lesson plan. Because Mr. R didn't want me to integrate a new lesson, I will be reminding them some of the finishing techniques and rubric requirements for this project. It should work out where I present them a few tips and tricks as well as review the requirements so they turn in the best project they can!

It was another successful day at the classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment