Friday, December 9, 2011

The Last Friday

As the semester is coming to a close, today was my last day observing at the elementary school on a Friday. I am visiting Ms. M on Tuesday for my final day of observation. It was exciting to know that this class is coming to a close, but I will miss the classes we worked with each week!

Once again we Ms. M was gone to an appointment, so Mrs. Williams was subbing again. It is always so fun to talk with her during the prep hour because she was a student at UW Stout and is always interested in our classes, how school is going, and which professors are still around.

The first grade students were very noisy today as they glued painted snowflakes to a background. The first graders are decorating for their winter assembly, so they folded and cut paper snowflakes out for decoration. To make them even more beautiful, they painted the snowflakes while they were taped to a white sheet of paper. The white sheet of paper absorbed paint where the negative space of the snowflake was. It created a positive and a negative relationship between the snowflake and the paper. The students were in the process of gluing the snowflake and the paper onto a background, which completed the project. The first graders did a good job of gluing, but I forget that they are still learning how to use their tactile skills to hold scissors and the glue bottles! I will miss them! They taught me a lot about developmental stages throughout the semester!

The sixth graders were the most well behaved I have seen them all semester! While working on clay slabs for "Me" boxes that they will carve and paint with symbols about themselves, they were quiet, courteous and willing to learn how to do everything the right way. Because clay is a medium that the students don't work with very often, I think they were concerned with how to do it right. When they draw, work with scissors or paint, they must feel like it is "easy" or that they know exactly how it works. I really enjoyed working with the clay because the students were so willing to listen!

The fifth grade class was spent reviewing our gourd project, finishing the scratching technique and working on a different name project. The students responded well to the gourd project, despite the problems we had with it! The gourds deflated TWICE after some students painted them! It was crazy to think that the project could go so awry! In the end, the students seemed to have positive feedback about the project, which made it worthwhile. I don't think I would ever do the project again! My partner and I designed the project around gourds that Ms. M had on hand (She didn't know what to do with them!).

When the students would finish early, they would start on the weekly creativity challenge or free draw. The best way to end the day was to get a sincere "Thank you Ms. W for visiting us each week" from the most polite fifth grader ever, and an "I love you" heart from a first grade student. I would say I love them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment